Saturday, December 6, 2008

[tis the season]



I love Christmas. It is my favorite time of year by far! Why you ask? Because I love, love, love to give my family and friends gifts. I love the whole experience from thinking about what would be perfect for them to seeing the expression on their face when they open it. It is the way I express my love.

The last few years have been really tough on our family with the economy and starting up not one but two business. Through the intense struggles I have gained an even deeper understanding of what is really important in life and a deeper compassion for those that are struggling.

A couple of Christmases ago I sat fighting back the tears because my heart was so sad that there were barely any gifts under our tree for our kids and most were hand made because that was all we could do. My daughter opened a gift from her brother and as she slipped the red plastic heart ring onto her finger she exclaimed, "Ryen, this is the most beautiful thing anyone EVER gave me! Thank you so much!" As I watched the exchange of hugs, laughter and tears my heart was full of joy and hope and one thing became abundantly clear......comparing yourselves to others is a ridiculous waste of time because true love and joy can not be bought it can only be given.

So here's the deal.......

You know someone. You know someone who's experienced a tragedy, is struggling to stay afloat, is raising kids while holding down more than one job, or is volunteering selflessly despite extenuating personal circumstances. You know someone who can't afford custom photography, but who would cherish it this holiday season. You know someone who deserves a year-round reminder of their family's spirit, love, and beauty.

You know someone. I guarantee it.

I want to know who they are, and I want to give them the chance to experience complimentary custom photography -- $1,150 worth, to be exact. Whether it's a canvas, album, prints, or a slideshow to watch over and over, it's in your power to give them the artwork they deserve this holiday season.

Oh, and the best part? The person who nominates the winner receives a $250 print credit. What better reason to show some love could there possibly be?

The rules:

* You cannot nominate yourself, and the person nominated must sincerely be incapable of purchasing my services. (Being unable to make mortgage payments for a two-million-dollar-vacation-home in Paris does not qualify as sincere financial need.)

* The nominee must reside in Michigan. Tell me who you know, what they're experiencing, and why they deserve custom portrait photography. Please include a way to contact both your nominee and yourself as well.

* You must e-mail me the full story by December 23rd at Midnight: shari@orangekitephotography.com.

The winner will be announced on Christmas Eve -- get nominating! I can't wait to read all of your entries!

Open your heart to someone this holiday season -- and thanks for giving me the opportunity to open mine.
With love,

Shari

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shari!I'm here at work and wanted to pop in, give the page some LOVE and jus simple say...

I JUST LOVE LOVE LOVE your Spirit and the way you jus come into the Studio wit a smile and a friendly "Hi". Bless you and your family for the Holiday season.

~Suz~
Adagio Dance Studio

PS. LOVE THE DARK CHOCOLATE MINT COOKIES!